History and Heritage: Celebrating 190 Years of Community Banking!
Whether in times of peace or times of war, Bank of New Hampshire has been steadfast. Through the Civil War, the Great Depression, two World Wars, eight Red Sox World Series Championships, and - most recently - a global pandemic, Bank of New Hampshire has prospered.
As a mutual organization, Bank of New Hampshire doesn’t answer to stockholders. The successes of its customers, communities, and employees have always been top priority, contributing to the bank’s position as a strong, stable financial organization.
Bank of New Hampshire has played an integral role in New Hampshire's growth and has shown an unfailing commitment to the communities where their employees serve, live and work. The bank has a long history of providing financial support to non-profit agencies around the state including Community Action Partnership of Strafford County, The Children's Literacy Foundation, The Lantos Foundation for Human Rights & Justice, Granite State Children's Alliance, New Hampshire Food Bank, Pope Memorial SPCA, Partnership for Public Health, Southern District YMCA and many, many others.
Giving back is foundational to the bank’s culture; Last year, bank employees volunteered more than 10,000 hours.
Thousands of defining moments have taken place over the past 190 years, but some have stood out more than others. Here’s a timeline of milestones the bank has reached during its long and lasting history in New Hampshire:
- 1831 - Franklin Pierce signs the charter creating Meredith Bridge Savings Bank
- 1832 - Receives its first deposit in the amount of $10.50
- 1869 - Name changes from Meredith Bridge Savings Bank to Laconia Savings Bank
- 1891 - Assets exceed $1 million dollars
- 1925 - A new vault is constructed, complete with safe deposit boxes
- 1953 - The interior of the bank undergoes a major renovation
- 1969 - ATMs are introduced
- 1971 - A new main office is constructed on Pleasant Street in Laconia
- 1994 - First acquisition resulting in the Gilford Lakeshore office
- 1996 - First generation website is launched and the Wealth Management division is established
- 1999 - Nine new offices acquired from Fleet Bank, Center Ossipee, Claremont, Conway, Gorham, Lincoln, Littleton, Plymouth, Whitefield and Woodsville
- 2000 - Online Banking service introduced
- 2005 - Historic French-Atwood barn in Bedford is restored and opened as 16th office
- 2006 - Footprint expands to the seacoast region by opening a new office in Dover
- 2008 - Mobile Banking introduced and acquisition of two new office locations; Antrim and Hillsborough
- 2009 - State Street office in Concord relocates to a newly restored, historic North Main Street building
- 2011 - Celebrates 180 year anniversary, named the New Hampshire Financial Business of the Year by NH Magazine and assets exceed $1 billion dollars
- 2012 - Two new offices open in Manchester and Rochester in newly constructed buildings
- 2012 - Name changes from Laconia Savings Bank to Bank of New Hampshire to better reflect who we have become
- 2013 - Plymouth office is relocated and BeMobile Deposit apps for tablets and smartphones are introduced
- 2016 - Acquired office in Campton
- 2017 - Opened a Business Development office in Falmouth, Maine
- 2018 - Relocated the Wealth Management division to Eagle Square in downtown Concord
- 2019 - 24/7 Customer Service offered via phone at 1.800.832.0912 and chat at BankNH.com
- 2020 - Named Business of the Decade by Business NH Magazine and assets exceed $2 billion dollars
- 2021 - Celebrates 190 year anniversary!
- 2021 - NH Business Review names us Best Local Bank for Small Business for the ninth year in a row and for the first time, Best Commercial Lender